Thursday, February 19, 2015
10 Things To Know About Me
My About Page could really use some updating. And let's not even talk about my blog header. I hardly recognize those tiny children. But, for today, I will settle for sharing a few choice facts about yours truly.
1. I really dislike bananas. Elijah and I were reading D.W.'s Guide to Preschool, and apparently D.W.'s mom says that everyone can have one food they won't eat. I choose bananas. Ketchup is a close second, although I don't actually think it is food, so maybe I can have two things. Do you have a least favorite food?
2. If I had been a boy, my parents would have named me Daniel. The same is true of my sister.
3. When I was a freshman in high school, I got frostbite from running barefoot in the snow on New Year's Eve. This is still perhaps the dumbest thing that I have done, but at 31 years old, I think that's not too bad.
4. I have an excellent visual memory. I still remember exact details from books I read as a child, like when Ramona eats one bite of every apple in the house, and Beezus is angry but also secretly jealous, because everyone knows the first bite of the apple is the best. On the other hand, my auditory memory is fairly terrible, so if I forget your name, I'm sorry. It is your fault for not wearing a name tag.
5. I did not lose my first grandparent until I was 23 years old. I have a trove of memories of all of my grandparents, and I recognize what a precious gift that is.
6. I hate grammatical errors. I am sure that, because I am saying this, there will be at least one in this post. It annoys me every time I see the sign on Isabel's car seat that says, "Use headrest when car seat is forward facing, or when child's head reaches this line or weighes 22 pounds." If your child's head weighs 22 pounds, I sincerely doubt they need a convertible infant car seat. You feel me?
7. I may love grammar, but I am a terrible speller. I like patterns, and if Words Their Way had been around when I was in school, I might be better. Sometime during my adult life, someone pointed out that "definitely" is an adverb, and I haven't misspelled it since. I still have to stop and think every time I write the word "tomorrow".
8. I have 10 cousins, and none of us are the same age.
9. I am terrified of downhill skiing, and Kurt is not happy about this. I love cross-country skiing, though, and it is basically the only reason I wish I lived in a snowier place.
10. I am going to try to post on this blog every day during Lent. My friend Kit is to blame for this overly ambitious goal. I imagine I'll run out of post ideas fairly soon, so this may not be the last list of semi-interesting facts that I share in the coming weeks. So watch out.
at 7:40 PM